Making a Complaint

Make a complaint using our online complaint form. This allows us to review the information you have submitted, find further information and make an initial assessment of your complaint before we contact you.

If you have already lodged a complaint with us, you can update your complaint with extra details about your provider and loan amount using our online form.

If you have not complained to your provider and they are still operating, you will need to do this before making a complaint to the Office.

You can contact us if you are dissatisfied at the end of the provider’s complaint process.

If you were unaware you had a study loan debt or you do not know who your provider is, you should follow these steps:

  1. Find your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)
    • If you know your provider and they are open, you should first call them to find out your CHESSN.
    • If you do not know your provider or your provider has closed, you can contact the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s Student Enquiry line on 1800 020 108 to request your CHESSN.
  2. Once you have your CHESSN, find out the identity of your provider and the loan amount by going to the myHELPbalance website.

If you would like to lodge an anonymous complaint or you live overseas, email or call 1300 362 072 (option 2).

If you are acting on someone else’s behalf, or you want someone to act on your behalf when speaking to us, please lodge a complaint using our online form and then fill out this form and email it to